War Memorials

Roll of Honour
The altar and Communion table with the Memorial Screen in carved and polychromed Wood.    ‘To the glory of God and in Memory of those who gave their lives in the Great War 1914 -18.’    Please follow this LINK for details.

Fergusson Olaque
Memorial plaque for Admiral James Andrew Fergusson (1871 - 1942).  Please follow this LINK for details.


Wason Panel
Rigby Wason Memorial Plaque associated with the window transferred from Dailly Free Church.


War MemorialDailly Parish Church and War Memorial .  Photograph by ©paul c. (24 September, 2005)

THE WAR MEMORIALS

It is very important that every community remembers and honours the men and women who were prepared to leave their homes and go away to war.  These brave people did what they did,  in order  to protect their communities and to maintain our country’s freedoms. 

Dailly has several War Memorials.  Some of them are positioned in the church but they are not the only ones in the village.

In the church there is an alter cross which is displayed on the Communion table.  This was gifted in 1919 by the Inglis family in memory of their sons, one of whom was killed during the Boer War and three others during World War One. 

Two vases presented by the Inglis family in 1916 commemorate two of their sons who were killed during the Great War.  The same family also placed a marble plague in the church in memory of their son Alexander Inglis who died aged twenty four. He was the Captain of the 2nd Regiment of the Scottish Horse and he was killed in action in South Africa on October 30th  1901 ‘while gallantly leading his squadron.

Alongside the memorial plaque is a World War One temporary battlefield burial cross which was removed from Dailly Cemetery in 1997 for safe keeping.  This cross was brought from a battlefield in France where it was used as a temporary grave marker for Lieutenant R. Inglis MC prior to his being reinterred in one of the many Commonwealth war cemeteries.

On the 9th October 1921 there was the unveiling and dedication of the Memorial in the Church to the forty two men who gave their lives in the Great War.  This Memorial was designed by Dr. MacGregor Chalmers.  It consists  of a series of decorative panels on the Screen behind the Communion table.  The central group of panels bears the following inscription – ‘To the glory of God and in Memory of those who gave their lives in the Great War 1914 -18.’ There then follows a list of the names of the forty two men who lost their lives in the War.  Then there is the text – ‘Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.’  There are four remaining panels – two on each side.  They are richly carved and painted.  The first picture is of the Royal Lion of Scotland.  The second picture is of the Cross of St. Andrew.  The third picture is of Saint Kieran who is the saint who is mentioned having a connection to Dailly District in early Christian times.  The fourth picture is of the Burning Bush which is the emblem of the Church of Scotland.

There is also a Memorial in the Church naming the nine members of the Free Church who died in the Great War.

In 2014 a lost First World War roll of honour was discovered in a corner of a church loft. The framed scroll bears the names of the forty six men and three women who were members of St. Columba’s Free Church in Dailly and who served in the armed forces during the Great War.  Nine of those named were killed in action during the war.

St. Columba’s Church closed for worship in 1929.  Several items were removed and stored for safe keeping in what was then called St. Machar’s Church but is now Dailly Parish Church.  These items include a stained glass window with a marble plaque on the sill, which had been inserted into the Free Church by Eugene Wason M.P. and his wife, on the safe return of their son Rigby from the war in South Africa where he served with the City Imperial Volunteers.

Later on, three other panels on the Screen behind the Communion table, had the names added of the thirteen members of the congregation who died during World War Two.

Outside the church Dailly War Memorial is situated in Church Square.  It was designed by James A. Morris.  He was a noted architect from Ayr who designed several buildings in Racecourse Road in Ayr.  His son, George, was killed during World War One while serving with the Royal Flying Corps.  This memorial was unveiled on November 13th 1921.  Four bronze plaques contain the names of the fifty five men who died during World War One.  Two sides of the column contain the names of thirteen men who died during World War Two.

The village of Dailly has one other War Memorial which is nowadays sadly often forgotten.  The Bargany family gifted a piece of ground to be known as the Memorial Garden in honour of those who did not return from World War Two. 

Opposite the Primary School was a low lying area which would have made a good sunken garden. But Girvan District Council, the ruling authority at the time, in consultation with the people of Dailly, decided to fill in the area and turf it as a sports field.  It is known as Memorial Park.   Perhaps there should be a suitable plaque put up there showing the park’s name and background?

(The material for this article was kindly  supplied by DAVID M. HUNTER  FSA SCOT )